As some of you know, I was at the NoFlyZone Midwest event this past weekend. Got almost 25 passes in. The first day was rained out, but we got a few solo runs. Going 146mph in the rain is… interesting.
The weather on the second day was much better and I was able to clock a 156 MPH run!
Here is a compilation video of some cars I was able to run…
Since I had to remove my intake manifold while walnut blasting my intake valves, I decided it was the perfect time to tap the manifold for a larger vacuum line. TiAL recommends that their blow off valves be connected to 1/4″ vacuum line, not the small factory 1/8″ vacuum line. This is crucial on modified BMW 135i or 335i.
Once you have all of the parts, it’s a pretty straightforward procedure. First, cap off the existing port with a vacuum nipple and a zip tie. I like to leave this nipple untouched in case I were to ever go back to stock, then I can just plug the larger port we’re about to create.
Next you’ll want to find the flat surface next to the old nipple. Then you’ll start drilling a hole with a small drill bit and eventually work your way up to a 1/4″ bit or until the tap can thread into the hole.
Now you’ll use the tap tool to thread the plastic to accept the fitting. Run this tap into the hole until you can thread the fitting in.
Grab the fitting and wrap some teflon tape around the threads. Then carefully thread it in until it is nice and tight.
Lastly, you’ll bust out the epoxy and coat the outside so it won’t leak.
Vacuum or blow out any plastic shavings that are left in the intake manifold and reinstall. Now you’ll grab your new 1/4″ vacuum hose and connect it from the blow off valve to your larger port for ideal operation.
A few weeks ago the car started making a squeaking noise. So, I popped the hood and started taking a video. Here is what I found:
As soon as I noticed the shredding serpentine belt, I drove home and parked the car. Ordered a new belt and tensioner, along with oil filter housing gaskets (#1 & #2) because mine were leaking. Once the parts arrived, I installed everything. Here is a picture of the OFH gaskets going in, what a mess…
Obligatory picture of the shredded belt: I put everything back together and assumed all was good. Wrong. About 50 miles later, the belt started shredding again. This time it started wrapping around the alternator pulley and burnt up the backside of the brand new tensioner pulleys.