After installing my new fuel system and turning up the boost on my MMP Stage 3 turbos, I started to notice some really bad heat soak in my logs. Guessing that the car is around 600-650whp at 28PSI, I could see that my standard VRSF 7″ Street intercooler was no longer keeping up. It did a great job on my stock turbos, but I needed something a little bigger.
After doing some research, I found the VRSF 7.5″ Race intercooler. Judging by its size and efficiency ratings, it seemed like the perfect intercooler for my power goal of 700whp. I ordered it right away to help cool things down a bit. Four days later it showed up, very nicely packaged.
On a constant quest for more power, I found myself looking to upgrade from my stock turbos. There are a few different options available, and even some single turbo conversion kits. After doing some research, I was set on a pair of MMP Stage 3 turbos. They offer 700whp capability with OEM fitment and come at a great price. After hearing praises about Mauricio’s customer service at MMP, I decided it was a no-brainer and pulled the trigger!
I opted for fully-optioned MMP Stage 3 turbos which included a 2 year turbo warranty with the bearing treatment. These turbos require larger inlets and outlets, so I opted for MMP’s silicone outlets and aluminum relocation inlets since I already relocated things for aftermarket inlets on my stock turbos. I also ordered the turbo install kit because I wanted fresh o-rings, gaskets, etc.
After reading some DIY N54 turbo install guides, I decided to tackle the job in my garage on jack stands. This would be one of the most involved projects I’ve ever attempted on my own, but I knew it was possible.
If you’ve been following my website, you probably read my detailed post about installing a 335is/550i clutch after my OEM clutch wore out. However, with MMP Stage 3 turbos on the way, I knew the 335is clutch wouldn’t hold as I turned up the boost. With a goal of 700whp, I decided to replace it with a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch and retain my MFactory single mass flywheel.
Since I just installed an MFactory SMFW about 20k miles ago, I decided to reuse it because I knew it was in good condition. All I had to do was purchase a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch with OEM or MFactory flywheel configuration so it would mate up properly. If I didn’t already have the MFactory flywheel, I probably would’ve bought a SPEC flywheel to go with the clutch. However, I’d rather save some money when possible!
Since the transmission was going to be removed, I wanted to refresh a few things at the same time. I noticed my shifter developed some side-to-side slop so I decided to upgrade the bushings. The car has almost 120k miles and still has the OEM transmission mounts, so I knew those could be replaced. I’ve also never servied the rear differential and noticed it was seeping a tiny bit of fluid. Might as well replace the rear pinion seal and flush/refill the fluid!
After owning my 1-series for over a year, I finally got sick of the halogen angel eye bulbs. I previously coded their voltage intensity up higher to make them brighter, but I still didn’t like the warm color.
So, I decided to buy myself an early Christmas present! LUX was running a sale, so I grabbed a pair of their latest and greatest angel eyes. Their H8 angel eyes advertised a pure white 7000k temperature with extreme brightness. Perfect!
I received them a few days after ordering and wanted to install them right away. All I had to do was pop the rear headlight covers off. They can be finicky, but you’ll figure it out. After the cover was off, I twisted the old bulbs out. Next, I inserted the new bulb and tucked the power supply box out of the way. Drum roll please…