Walnut blasting is one of the most common maintenance tasks for the N54 engine to remove carbon buildup from the intake valves. Some shops or dealerships charge an arm and a leg for this service, but it can be done at home for much less!
You’ll need the following parts & tools:
- Portable Abrasive Blaster Kit
- Fine Grade Walnut Shells
- Pistol Grip Blow Gun
- Remote Starter Switch
- N54 Vacuum Adapter and Blasting Wand
- N54 Intake Manifold Gaskets
- Shop-Vac vacuum (if you don’t already have one)
- 20 Gallon, 175 psi Compressor (if you don’t already have one)
For a complete kit, ready to go (minus compressor), you can get the walnut blasting DIY kit shipped to you straight from BavAuto.
Let’s get started. First you will need to remove the intake manifold. Read this step-by-step process to complete this step.
Once the intake manifold is removed, you should watch my DIY video that will walk you through the rest of the steps!
I took some photos along the way if you need something to reference.
And the finished results…